• Tag cloud

Strength for the Day

Spreading God's word

Moderators: pebbles, eliam, togia, danaidh

Strength for the Day

Postby togia on Mon Feb 09, 2009 1:23 pm

9-Feb-2009
"If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins." 1 John 1:9

Corrie ten Boom tells a story of little girl who broke one of her mother's demitasse cups. The little girl came to her mother sobbing, "Oh, Mama, I'm so sorry I broke your beautiful cup." The mother replied, "I know you're sorry and I forgive you. Now don't cry any more." The mother then swept up the pieces of the broken cup and placed them in the trash can. But the little girl enjoyed the guilty feeling. She went to the trash can, picked out pieces of the cup, brought them to her mother and sobbed, "Mother, I'm so sorry that I broke your pretty cup." This time her mother spoke firmly to her, "Take those pieces and put them back in the trash can. Don't be silly enough to take them out again. I told you I forgave you, so don't cry any more. . ."

Don't keep holding on to your guilt. If you have confessed your sins to Christ. He has forgiven them and taken them away - forever.

Have a good day!
Grant Watson/Webmaster of TOGIA Portals co-founder of Truth of God online
togia
Site Admin

Strength for the Day 10-Feb-2009

Postby togia on Tue Feb 10, 2009 5:56 pm

"When I am weak, then I am strong." 2 Corinthians 12:10

God's idea of strength and man's idea of strength are opposite one another. The Lord told Paul, "My strength is made perfect in weakness" (2 Cor. 12:9). Having learned this lesson, Paul could then say, "When I am weak, then I am strong" (2 Cor. 12:10). A paradox? Not really. Only when Paul admitted his own weakness and was willing to get out of the way, could God take over and work. If we try to do God's will in our own strength, then we can take credit for whatever gets accomplished. But that isn't God's way! When we let His strength work through us, then He alone will get the glory - and that is as it should be.

In the Old Testament God repeatedly told the leaders of Israel to reduce the size of their armies, or He announced in advance how their victory would be won. Why? So they would place their trust in Him and not in their own strength. As someone has said, "God's work, done in God's way, will never lack for God's provisions."

Have a good day!
togia
Site Admin

Strength for the Day 10-15-08

Postby togia on Mon Feb 16, 2009 1:30 pm

"You, brethren, are not in darkness. . . You are all sons of light." 1 Thess. 5:4-5

The born-again Christian sees life not as a blurred, confused, meaningless mass, but as something planned and purposeful. His eyes have been opened to spiritual truth. In Christ's first sermon at Nazareth He said that one of the reasons He had come to earth was to preach "recovery of sight to the blind" (Luke 4:18). By nature we are all spiritually blind because of sin. But the Spirit of God helps us see our sin and our helplessness and shows us God's redeeming grace in Christ. The Spirit reveals the truth of Jesus' declaration: "I am the light of the world. He who follows me shall not walk in darkness, but have the light of life" (John 8:12).

In the Bible we are called "children of light and children of the day" (1 Thess. 5:5 NRSV), because it pleased God to share His mysteries and secrets with us. We are no longer in the dark - we know where we come from, we know why we are here, and we know where we are going. In the midst of a world living in spiritual darkness, walk as a child of the light!

Have a good day!
Last edited by togia on Wed Feb 18, 2009 11:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: stre
togia
Site Admin

Strength for the Day 10-14-08

Postby togia on Mon Feb 16, 2009 1:31 pm

"In Your presence is fullness of joy." Psalm 16:11

Have you ever watched a young couple communicate their love for each other without even saying a word? Maybe you have experienced it yourself. Every glance, every touch, every smile conveys love. People deeply in love find absolute bliss simply being in each others presence.

In the same way, simply being in the presence of God brings us great joy. It happens as we listen to Him speak in His Word; it happens as we pray. But is also happens as we simply enjoy His presence - meditating on His goodness, delighting in the beauty of His creation, rejoicing in the life of a new baby or the surprise of an unexpected blessing. The Bible says,"Be still, and know that I am God" (Ps. 46:10). Some day we will be in His presence forever; the Bible says, "God Himself will be with them" (Rev. 21:3). What joy that will be! But in the meantime, delight in His presence right now, for He is with you every hour of the day.
togia
Site Admin

Re: Strength for the Day 10-16-08

Postby togia on Mon Feb 16, 2009 1:32 pm

"Come to Me, all you who labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest." Matthew 11;28

Few people know how to rest these days. Even on vacation, many people rush to cram in as much as they can before returning to their jobs, where they spend twice as much energy catching up on the work and mail that has piled up in their absence. Many of us need vacations! Perhaps we have been looking for rest in the wrong places.

Jesus said, "Come to me. . . and I will give you rest." Like peace, rest and contentment can be found only in one place, from one source, and that is the Lord Jesus Christ. Jesus gives us the ultimate rest, the confidence we need, to escape the frustration and chaos of the world around us. Rest in Him and don't worry about what lies ahead. Jesus Christ has already taken care of tomorrow.

Have a good day!
togia
Site Admin

Strength for the Day 10-17-08

Postby togia on Tue Feb 17, 2009 10:39 am

"Whenever you face trials of any kind, consider it nothing but joy." James 1:2

Before the power of an atom was discovered, science had to devise a way to smash the atom. The secret of the atom's immeasurable and limitless power was in its being crushed. Some of the most godly people I've ever known were men and women who were called upon to endure great suffering. They could have grown bitter and resentful. . . yet, because they knew Christ and walked in the joy of His presence every day, God blessed them and turned them into people who reflected Christ.

Dr. Edward Judson, at the dedication of a church in New York City, said, "Suffering and success go together. If you are succeeding without suffering, it is because others before you have suffered; ;if you are suffering without succeeding, it is that others after you may succeed." Admittedly, it's hard to "count it all joy" when suffering comes. But when it does, ask God to use it to make you steadfast in your faith.

Have a good day!
togia
Site Admin

30-Jan-2009

Postby togia on Tue Feb 17, 2009 10:40 am

"Comfort each other and edify one another." 1 Thess. 5:11

It is an undeniable fact that usually those who have suffered most are best able to comfort others who are passing through suffering. They know what it is to suffer, and they understand more than others what a suffering person is experiencing - physically, emotionally, and spiritually. They are able to empathize as well as sympathize with the afflictions of others because of what they have experienced in their own lives.

Our suffering may be rough and hard to bear, but they teach us lessons that in turn equip and enable us to help others. Our attitude toward suffering should not be, "Grit your teeth and bear it," hoping it will pass as quickly as possible. Rather, our goal should be to learn all we can from what we are called upon to endure, so that we in turn can "comfort each other and edify one another."

Have a good day!
togia
Site Admin

Strength for the Day 3-Feb-2009

Postby togia on Tue Feb 17, 2009 10:41 am

"Your kingdom is an everlasting kingdom." Psalm 145:13

The government in God's kingdom is unique. It is not a democracy where people govern, but a "Christocracy" where Christ is the supreme authority. In a society of unredeemed people, democracy is the only fair and equitable system. But no democracy can ever be better than the people who make it up. When citizens are selfishly motivated, the government will be inequitable. When people are dishonest, the government will be the same. When everyone wants his own way, someone is going to get hurt.

But in God's kingdom, Christ is King. He is compassionate, fair, merciful, and just. When He is sovereign in men's hearts, anguish turns to peace, hatred is transformed into love, and misunderstanding into harmony. Is Christ the King of your motives and your attitudes?

Have a good day!
togia
Site Admin

Strength for the Day 4-Feb-2009

Postby togia on Tue Feb 17, 2009 10:41 am

"My days are swifter than a weaver's shuttle." Job 7:6

In North Carolina the textile mills have giant looms that turn out cloth for the nation. The shuttles move with the speed of lightning, scarcely visible to the naked eye. Job says that his days are "swifter than a weaver's shuttle." Life passes so quickly it is almost over before we realize it. The Bible says this is the chronology of eternity. Though you live to be seventy, eighty, or ninety years old, that is but a snap of the finger compared to eternity.

Put you hand on your heart and feel it beat. It is saying, "Quick!, Quick! Quick! We have only a few brief years at the most. Let's live them for the Lord.

Have a good day!
togia
Site Admin

Re: Strength for the Day 29-JAN-2009

Postby togia on Tue Feb 17, 2009 10:43 am

"It is good that one should hope and wait quietly for the salvation of the Lord. Lamentations 3:26

The promise of the coming of Christ has been the great hope of believers down through the centuries. The ancient Nicene Creed affirms, "He shall come again with glory." Charles Wesley wrote 7,000 hymns; 5,000 mention the coming of Christ. As the Archbishop of Canterbury crowned Queen Elizabeth II, he stated, "I give thee, O Sovereign Lady, this crown to wear until He who reserves the right to wear it shall return."

But until that time, our world remains in the grip of violence and despair. One noted columnist summed it up this way: "For us all, the world is disorderly and dangerous; ungoverned, and apparently ungovernable." Some day, however, the King will return. Some day the heavens will shout, "The kingdoms of this world have become the kingdoms of our Lord and of His Christ, and He shall reign forever and ever!" (Rev. 11:15). Christ alone is the answer to the burdens of our hearts and the hopelessness of our world.

Have a good day!
togia
Site Admin

Re: Strength for the Day 29-Jan-2009

Postby togia on Tue Feb 17, 2009 10:44 am

"Take my yoke upon you and learn from Me." Matthew 11:29

A generation ago, Jim Elliot went from Wheaton College to become a missionary to the Aucas in Ecuador. Before he was killed, he wrote, "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose." The Christian faith brings its own "blood, sweat, and tears" to those who would follow Jesus Christ. Christ calls us to discipleship. When we come to Him, He takes away one set of burdens - the durden of sin, the burden of guilt, the burden of separation from God, the burden of hopelessness. But He also calls us to follow Him, to renounce our selfish desires and seek His will above all else. He calls to us: "Take My yoke upon you and learn from Me."

So are we simply exchanging one burden for another - the burden of sin for the burden of obedience? No! It is no burden to follow Christ. Instead, we come the bearers of joy - because now we are yoked to the very Son of God. Nor is it too heavy to bear, for Christ bears it with us: "My yoke is easy and My burden is light (Matt. 11:30). With whom are you yoked - the world or Christ?

Have a good day!
togia
Site Admin

Strength for the Day 12-Feb-2009

Postby togia on Tue Feb 17, 2009 10:46 am

"Blessed is the man whom You instruct, O Lord." Psalm 94:12

A child develops muscles through exercise. Only when our muscles encounter resistance, do they become stronger. In the same way, the Bible tells us that we only become stronger spiritually through exercise - through using our spiritual "muscles" to meet the challenges of life. This is especially true when we face suffering and affliction, for they are one of God's ways to make us strong. One reason God allows suffering to come to His people, the Bible says, is to discipline, chasten, and mold us.

In the last essay he wrote before he died, C.S. Lewis said, "We have no right to happiness; only an obligation to do our duty." Sometimes our God-given duty will include suffering. When it does, ask God to teach you through it. Remember the Psalmist's words quoted above: "Blessed is the man whom You instruct, O Lord."

Have a good day!
togia
Site Admin

Re: Strength for the Day 13-Feb-2009

Postby togia on Tue Feb 17, 2009 10:47 am

"Lead a quiet and peaceable life in all godliness and reverence." 1 Timothy 2:2

As Christians we aren't to isolate ourselves from the world in which we live. We are part of society, and we share in its difficulties, problems, and hopes. The Bible has much to say about our social responsibility. The Old Testament prophets condemned those who ignored the poor and exploited the weak. Not that it is easy. As Christians, we know human society is affected by sin, and any effort to improve society will always be incomplete and imperfect. We will never build a Utopia on earth.

But we must do all we can to alleviate suffering, and to strike at the root causes of injustice, racial prejudice, hunger, and violence. We are to work for a peaceable life and human dignity for others. Why? Because God loves this suffering world. Jesus saw the crowds and "was moved with compassion" (Matt. 9:36). Christ is concerned about the whole person - including the society in which that person lives. Do we share His concern?

Have a good day!
togia
Site Admin

Re: Strength for the Day 16-Feb-2009

Postby togia on Tue Feb 17, 2009 10:48 am

"We are ambassadors for Christ, as though God were pleading through us." 2 Corinthians 5:20

What is an ambassador? He is a representative and servant of his government in a foreign land. He is not free to set his own policies or develop his own message, but must carry out the will of the government he represents. In other words he's a person under authority.

In the same way we are called to live under the authority of Jesus Christ and the authority of the Scriptures. We are servants. We are called not to do our will, but Christ's. The world today is looking for holy men and women who live under the authority of the Word of God. Unbelievers will not listen to what we say unless we back it up with the way we live. Are you a faithful ambassador for Christ to those around you?

Have a good day!
togia
Site Admin

Re: Strength for the Day 17-Feb-2009

Postby togia on Tue Feb 17, 2009 10:49 am

"The kingdom of God is . . . righteousness and peace and joy in the Holy Spirit." Romans 14:17

To the great gift of forgiveness God adds the great gift of the Holy Spirit. He is the source of power who meets our need to escape from the miserable weakness that grips us. He gives us the power to be truly good, as we yield ourselves to Him. If we are to live a life of sanity in our modern world, if we wish to be men and women who can live victoriously; we need the two-sided gift God has offered us. First, the work of the Son of God for us; second, the work of the Spirit of God in us. In this way God has answered humanity's two great cries: the cry for forgiveness and the cry for goodness.

As a friend of mine has said, "I need Jesus Christ for my eternal life, and the Holy Spirit of God for my internal life." He might have added, ". . . .so I can live my external life to the fullest."

Have a good day!
togia
Site Admin

Next

Return to The Bible