• Tag cloud

Being Fishers of Men

Spreading God's word

Moderators: pebbles, eliam, togia, danaidh

Being Fishers of Men

Postby togia on Thu Apr 24, 2008 10:43 pm

Okay, so along with the study over Acts, we are going to start a study over being fishers of men

I will have a little intro about what this is later. I hope you stayed tuned in
Last edited by togia on Sat Apr 26, 2008 11:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Grant Watson/Webmaster of TOGIA Portals co-founder of Truth of God online
togia
Site Admin

Postby eliam on Thu Apr 24, 2008 10:56 pm

i am excited to know what you have in store with this idea
Loving the Lord with every passing day
eliam
Site Admin

Postby david on Fri Apr 25, 2008 2:26 pm

Me too, I can't wait this sounds exciting
david

Postby eliam on Mon Apr 28, 2008 10:15 am

Now is this going to be like a course thing. Because I kinda got that the Acts study is going to be like that.

Because if it is, I think I will learn a lot more then if it was just like an overview of it
eliam
Site Admin

Postby togia on Mon Apr 28, 2008 11:25 am

Yeah me and daniel and planning so summer bible courses for here. And this and the study over Acts are the beginnings of it

I am writing the outlines for it so I hope that you don't think I am leaving you hanging so I hope you enjoy what I have in store
togia
Site Admin

hi

Postby tinilarun on Tue May 20, 2008 11:25 pm

hello friends nice to c u people discussing about most wonderful things.
U c Praying & meditating is one of the hardest thimg for all . It is very difficult to pray 4 10minits . we all get distracted while we pray. And we pray with all our heart for 15 min then the result is aw sum. Going to bible course is very easy but to pray is very very hard. Any one can pray . but praying 100% concentration is very few !
tinilarun

Postby togia on Thu May 22, 2008 1:19 pm

Okay let's start up some discussion on this subject, what do you think that being fishers of men means. What thoughts come to mind when you hear this? What did it mean to be a fisher of men to the apostles? Can you find the first use of this term?

What does this mean for you today?
togia
Site Admin

Re: Being Fishers of Men

Postby eliam on Tue Jan 27, 2009 1:12 pm

Are we still doing this what happened to this study?
eliam
Site Admin

Postby togia on Tue Jan 27, 2009 8:55 pm

yes i am, i am just working on the guide
togia
Site Admin

Postby togia on Sun Feb 01, 2009 2:56 pm

My question still stands. What does it mean to be fishers of men. Is it easier to be fishers of men in today's times. Or was it easier for the apostles back in Jesus time?

What do you think we would have to do "fish" people into coming to church or coming to a group devo or just something that has the connection to Christ and God?

What would you do if God told you today to drop what you are doing, drop what your career is and follow Him and become a fisher of men?
togia
Site Admin

Postby eliam on Sun Feb 01, 2009 3:15 pm

togia wrote:My question still stands. What does it mean to be fishers of men. Is it easier to be fishers of men in today's times. Or was it easier for the apostles back in Jesus time?

What do you think we would have to do "fish" people into coming to church or coming to a group devo or just something that has the connection to Christ and God?

What would you do if God told you today to drop what you are doing, drop what your career is and follow Him and become a fisher of men?

Being fisher's of men is just being that. We have to go out and spread the our line out and see if anyone will bite the bait so to speak. I mean, that sounds a little bad but, like fishing, we will get some people that will nibble on the bite and some that won't. And sometimes the ones that nibble on what we have to say may never really bite on and catch God's grace.

I think in a way, both time frames have their own faults, ups and downs, good spots and tight spots. I think that it would have been easy in a sense back in Jesus' time because of the general consensus faith. It was hard to swallow that this man is actually God in flesh, but with the faith and knowledge that our God was coming down to earth, I think that would be a stand alone easy factor. I think that it would be easier today because we have the whole Bible now, they only had fragments of the old law. We have people that their profession is learning all there is about the bible. The only downfall we have today is what must we do to actually catch your attention. That is why we need more fishers instead of just watchers, the people that will just tell you where the good lake is at you know.

Like I said, it is really just more about how we go about to get your attention. Because of today's tolerance level of faith, it is hard to get someone to really look this way. Because of stupid humans and their skewd belief on the Bible, not a lot of people that don't believe want to believe because of of how many secs there are here.

Now, what would I do if God came down to me in a vision and told me to be a fisher of men, to be very honest, it is hard for me to think that I wouldn't be a little shocked and a little hesistant of what is going on. I want to say that I want to be able to say to God, hey what must I do. I just have to work on my faith part generally speaking for me to fully go with that flow
eliam
Site Admin

Postby togia on Sun Feb 01, 2009 3:20 pm

Very well said Eliam.

The last part I think that it would be hard for me to to say yes God, where you lead I will follow. I think that after a while, after I was given the chance to realize that it is God that is asking me to go, that I would be more than willing to do whatever it takes to do so. I think you are right too about how we go about spreading the word of God. We have to have that edge that new thing to have people say, hey let's see what they have. But at the same time, we have to stay inside what God wants us too you know. We have to go by what the Bible says.
togia
Site Admin

Postby eliam on Sun Feb 01, 2009 3:28 pm

Oh completely understandable.It is crazy how far people go just to get that extra person in that seat you know. I mean, it is really all about the conviction of the person who is teaching and going fishing and the person who is trying to learn more about the Bible and following that lure. I have noticed in a lot of people that the reason that they don't or stopped going to church was not because the people weren't friendly, they said that they were a bit too friendly. Letme say it the way they said it to me. If it wasn't the church that was trying to push it down my throat and tell me that if I don't do this today and believe and become a member of the Lord's church then I am going to hell today whenever I get in the car.

That isn't the right way to do it. Go to people with a loving compassionate heart. Go to them with the love of Jesus. The same love that put HIm on the cross for our sins should be in the hearts of us when we go talk to someone about God. We shouldn't push our faith on anyone else. I want everyone in the whole world to believe Christ is the savior and the son of God and was raised from the dead, but some people will go to the grave never to believe.
eliam
Site Admin

Postby togia on Sun Feb 01, 2009 3:31 pm

Amen amen. I have a believe that God created us to have the free will to choose for a reason. We have the right to love Him with all of our heart, and we also have the right to hate Him with everything that we know. In the end, our hearts will be the true trophy of where we go.
togia
Site Admin

Postby togia on Wed Feb 18, 2009 11:21 am

My second strand of question stands as this here, where in the bible do you think being a fisher of men is the strongest. Where were do we read the biggest "fishing" was done?
togia
Site Admin

Next

Return to The Bible